Case Timeline

Demonstration7th September 2003
Mikey died in the custody of West Midlands police

This is what happened. Police officers were called by concerned family members because Mikey had broken a window. The officers drove a police car at Mikey, beat him with a baton, CS gassed him, restrained him and, knowing he was injured, and drove him to a police station not a hospital. He died.

8th September 2003
The police investigation

Because the death took place before the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) was established the investigation into Mikey’s death was carried out by Northamptonshire police under the supervision of the Police Complaints Authority. Northamptonshire had taken over the investigation from the West Midlands Police in whose custody Mikey had died. Supervision of the investigation was then handed over to the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) shortly after its launch in March 2004.

15th November 2003
March from Lozells to Thornhill Road police station

Over 500 people joined the procession to Thornhill Road police station, followed by a rally at Handsworth Park.

February/March 2004
Northamptonshire Police report completed

Files were sent to the Crown Prosecution Service by Northamptonshire Police in late February/March 2004.

5th March 2004
Inquest Hearing

The inquest, which began on 5th March 2004, had been hampered because crucial pathologist’s reports had not been submitted. The hearing heard that only two of the four pathologists were happy for their findings to be made public. Consequently the inquest was adjourned.

7th January 2005
Police escape manslaughter charges

The Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) revealed that police officers connected to the case would not face manslaughter charges. Instead eight officers were to be prosecuted for misconduct and two for dangerous driving and assault.
See the full details in later entry – 8th May 2006

22nd February 2005
Application by lawyers representing police officers to move trial

The criminal trial was moved to Leicester Crown Court after lawyers for the officers successfully argued they would not get a fair trial in Birmingham.

16th December 2005
Appeal to dismiss denied

Following dismissal proceedings lodged by lawyers for the officers early in 2005, the trial Judge at Birmingham Crown Court ruled that the dismissal requests would be denied.

27th March 2006 – Preliminary Hearing Leicester
Courtenay Griffiths QC lead the prosecution counsel.

8th May 2006
Crown Court Trial of 10 Police officers at Leicester Crown Court

Inspector Anthony James Guest, Police Constable Andrew Glenn Edwards, Police Constable Luke Anthony Gill, Police Constable Nigel Peter Hackett, Police Constable Steven Michael Hollyman, Police Constable Lee Andrew Howard, Police Sergeant David Williams, Police Constable Christopher John Wilson were indicted on charges of misconduct in public office.

PC Timothy Peter Lewis and PC Hadley were indicted on charges of dangerous driving.
No charges were brought in relation to Mikey’s death itself

Case Timeline (Pt2) >